BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, April 17, 2009

back to my roots: its thinking time

As I sit here on my kitchen bench, eating my cereal and watching my parents as they do their same old morning routine. I start to notice things about them, and their daily routines and lifestyles.
Currently, they are both sitting at opposite ends of a table, drinking their own completely seperate coffees, reading their own seperate newspapers, and reading their own seperate email inboxes. They occasionally pause to show the other something that they might have read, or something that a friend of theirs has sent them.
I begin to realise that I have many vivid images and memories of them doing exactly this.
this is because they do it every saturday, and have for as long as I can remember. They must enjoy this, because they sub consiously end up doing it, even when we are out of town, or at someone elses house.
While watching them go about this "routine" of theirs, I realise that these two people right in front of me, are completely content at the moment, forgetting all their troubles as they ironically read about the problems of others in an article titled "Rot in Hell, Rudd tells people smugglers"

Allthough i have a lot of quarrels with my parents, one thing I have always admired is their sence of contentness for their dreary middle class lives.
This is where the scene I have painted has some relevence in my subject matter, the video games industry.
This is an Industry that is always pushing for greater things,for great technological achievements. But by doing this, as i have come to realise, they are failing to acomplish what they first set out to do, to entertain.
As games get more and more mainstream and the "quality" apparently goes up, all money is spent on marketing, and updating hardware. And all those who (in the words of Jarett Cale) "Play Games for Game-play" are left with a below adverage piece of dribble that happens to look shiny and polished.
This is all I have time for, so I wont elaborate too much, but think about the kind of games that would be released these days if the games industry were more like my parents, content with what they have.
Would our games stay as good as the ones released in the great N64 days, or would games just be the dribble we have today... without the polishing?

0 comments: